For thousands of years, the use of smoke, vapour and herbs have been used by various cultures to connect humans with the spirit world. Dried white sage in particular has been used by Indigenous Americans for several millennia in ritual to cleanse any bad energy, anger, illness and conflict.
Ignite one end of the wand over a fireproof dish, on a heat-tolerant surface. Once a flame is established, gently blow out the flame. The wand should be smouldering with no visible flame. Proceed with smudging. Extinguish in sand.
Some ideal times for smudging are:
- When moving into a new residence
- When beginning a new job or starting a new business
- Before and after a guest enters your home
- Before meditation, yoga or healing session
- Upon returning home from crowded and noisy situations
- After a bad argument or illness